- January, 2022 TBD
Hakimah explores the role of women in Jewish, Christian, and Muslim texts and traditions. Participants will discover how women in the Holy Land continue to contribute to the cultural, political, and spiritual realities they live in. Participants will also be invited to engage their own experiences and narratives in conversation with women of the Holy Land of the past, present, and future.
*In Arabic, Hakimah means a wise woman. In Hebrew, Hokhmah means wisdom. In both Arabic and Hebrew, the word for wisdom is feminine.
Hakimah is open to any and all who wish to deeply engage with women's realities in the Holy Land regardless of gender or religious affiliation. The program will be a mixture of text study, excursions, encounters with local women, and group discussion. The two weeks will be animated by the expertise of the Hakimah leadership team: Marcie Lenk and Stephanie Saldana. A preliminary program syllabus (subject to change) can be viewed here: Hakimah Program Overview.
Program fees include your room, all meals (including on overnight trips), all lectures and excursions, and all program related tips. There is no price reduction for missed meals, although simple packed lunches/dinners can be made in such cases.
2022 program fees:
Please note all prices are in US Dollars (USD)
- Single Room (with private bathroom) at Tantur & Single Room on Trips:$3,518
- Single Room (with private bathroom) at Tantur & Shared room on Trips: $3,451
- Single Room with shared facilities (bathroom shared with adjacent and connecting room) at Tantur & Single on Trips: $3,147
- Single Room with shared facilities (bathroom shared with adjacent and connecting room) & Shared on Trip: $3,080
- Couple or Roommates Registering Together, Double OR Twin Room (with private bathroom) at Tantur and on Trips $3,023 each
The first and the last days of this program are meant to be travel days for arrival or departures. If you wish to arrive earlier or depart later than these transitional days, you may do so, space permitting, for an additional per-day fee. Our Reservations Office will endeavor to keep visitors in the same room throughout their stay. If you wish to extend your stay before and/or after your program, please contact Program Director, Frederic Masson as soon as possible after acceptance to the program.
You will have some free time to explore the region at your own cost. Please budget for these opportunities and other personal expenses accordingly. Each participant should also have adequate medical insurance during their stay.
Accommodation on Overnight Trips
Please note that the price of programs is based on a shared room basis (two to a room) on overnight trips away from Tantur. Those who would prefer a private room, may request one at additional cost. These spaces are limited and will be filled on a first come, first served basis.
Payment is due upon arrival for a program. Further payment details will be sent to you when we have received your application.
Payment options are as follows:
- Credit Cards: Visa and Mastercard (American Express and Diners Club are not accepted)
- Wire transfers: payment should be made to the University of Notre Dame and clearly indicate the name and/or organization of the sending party for tracking and accounting purposes. Do not address the wire transfer to Tantur Ecumenical Institute. Payment will normally take 5 to 10 working days. Transfer fees are the responsibility of the party issuing payment.
Please note: we can no longer accept payments by cash or check.
There is no deadline for applications, but we encourage you to apply as early as possible. Each application will be considered until a program is full, and may be placed on a waiting list thereafter.
*A special note on visas: depending on your citizenship, you may need an advance Israeli visa to travel to Jerusalem. Please apply at least 90 days prior to the start of the program as this process can be lengthy, especially in late summer or early fall. For information on applying for a visa, please check with the Israeli embassy or consulate in your country of citizenship.