- March 29th – April 19th, 2023
- March 20th – April 10th, 2024
- April 6th – April 26th, 2025
The Three-Week Easter program includes many of the core elements mentioned in the Tantur Experience but differs in that its lectures and excursions are centered around the Paschal Mystery, and Holy Week and Easter Liturgies. Additionally, it is a unique opportunity to encounter the Holy City of Jerusalem on a deeper level than in other programs.
On Palm Sunday, a most festive day for local Christians, we join the procession from Bethphage across the Mount of Olives to the Old City of Jerusalem where the Latin Patriarch greets the pilgrims and leads them in prayer. Holy Week will also offer opportunities to experience the richness of the liturgies of the Oriental traditions (Easter for the Orthodox churches is May 2). This program will include three nights in Galilee and visits to biblical sites around Nazareth and the Sea of Galilee, following Jesus' call, “Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.” (Mt 28:10)
*Important note: The Easter Encounter program has been designed for the Easter celebration under the Western, or Gregorian, calendar which the Catholic and Protestant churches follow. As of 2015, the parishes of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem will be celebrating Easter under the Eastern, or Julian Calendar, while the principal places of pilgrimage run by Catholic religious communities in the Holy Land will remain under the Gregorian calendar. The Easter Encounter program will continue to be designed around the celebration of Easter on the Western/Gregorian calendar.
Program fees include your room, all meals (including on overnight trips), all lectures and excursions, and all program related tips. There is no price reduction for missed meals, although simple packed lunches/dinners can be made in such cases.
2023 program fees
Please note all prices are in US Dollars (USD)
- Single Room (with private bathroom) at Tantur & Single Room on Trips:$4,877
- Single Room (with private bathroom) at Tantur & Shared room on Trips: $4,590 (under the condition of availability of another roommate)
- Single Room with shared facilities (bathroom shared with adjacent and connecting room) at Tantur & Single on Trips: $4,474 (under the condition of availability of another roommate)
- Single Room with shared facilities (bathroom shared with adjacent and connecting room) & Shared on Trip: $4,237 (under the condition of availability of another roommate)
- Couple or Roommates Registering Together, Double OR Twin Room (with private bathroom) at Tantur and on Trips $3,808 each
Apartments are non available for CEP Participants.
The first and the last days of this program are meant to be travel days for arrivals or departures. If you wish to arrive earlier or depart later than these transitional days, you may do so, space permitting, for an additional per-day fee. Our Reservations Office will endeavor to keep visitors in the same room throughout their stay. If you wish to extend your stay before and/or after your program, please contact Program Director, Frederic Masson as soon as possible after acceptance to the program.
You will have some free time to explore the region at your own cost. Please budget for these opportunities and other personal expenses accordingly. Each participant should also have adequate medical insurance during their stay.
Accommodation on Overnight Trips
Please note that the price of programs is based on a shared room basis (two to a room) on overnight trips away from Tantur. Those who would prefer a private room, may request one at additional cost. These spaces are limited and will be filled on a first come, first served basis.
Payment is due upon arrival for a program. Further payment details will be sent to you when we have received your application.
Payment options are as follows:
- Credit Cards: Visa and Mastercard (American Express and Diners Club are not accepted)
- Wire transfers: payment should be made to the University of Notre Dame and clearly indicate the name and/or organization of the sending party for tracking and accounting purposes. Do not address the wire transfer to Tantur Ecumenical Institute. Payment will normally take 5 to 10 working days. Transfer fees are the responsibility of the party issuing payment.
Please note: we can no longer accept payments by cash or check.
There is no deadline for applications, but we encourage you to apply as early as possible. Each application will be considered until a program is full, and may be placed on a waiting list thereafter.
*A special note on visas: depending on your citizenship, you may need an advance Israeli visa to travel to Jerusalem. Please apply at least 90 days prior to the start of the program as this process can be lengthy, especially in late summer or early fall. For information on applying for a visa, please check with the Israeli embassy or consulate in your country of citizenship.